Severe Weather?

Well, one person's perspective of "severe weather" can be very different from anothers'. I'm in Atlanta, Georgia and wow are people freaking out about the cold and the potential snow for today. I arrived to temperatures of about -1 C and the hotel lobby clerk was wearing his coat. Indoors. "Don't worry, we turned the heat on in your room" he tells me. I'm not worried. Jeez, I was in Quebec City this time last year and the temps were -45 with the wind chill...
I get to my room and the thermostat reads 85 F...I keep my house at a comfortable 68. I think I must have been the only person in the state of Georgia with the air conditioning turned on.

So today....the forecast is for anywhere from a "sprinkling of snow" to an inch. Schools are closed in anticipation of this and there are water main breaks across the city (the pipes aren't buried as deep in the ground in southern states as ones where freezing is more normal, so the freeze and thaw near the surface is causing the pipes to break). The news last night was explaining to people that trucks were out spreading a combination of salt and "grit" and explaining what this does to help with the driving ;)...and that one shouldn't drive too close to them because their windshields could break from the grit hitting them if they drove too close....that's some grit! (Distinct from the grit that is consumed in this area, I assume).

The snow really isn't supposed to arrive until later today...so I am thinking I might not be able to photograph and record people's responses because they are saying likely 7-8pm, after then sun has gone down. I will do my best.

0 Responses to “Severe Weather?”

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

The Blog was initiated as part of the inaugural "Sustainability Across the Curriculum" workshop, held at SMU on May 12, 2010. This is part of the Teacher Scholar programme for 2010-2011. If you have any posts, curriculum, ideas or inspired content that you would like to include, please send it to Dr. Cathy Conrad, the 2010-2011 Teaching Scholar, Associate Professor of the Department of Geography. I look forward to moderating this site and linking useful and relevant information. I hope you find it useful!



XML

Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Extreme Canadian Weather | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.